By: Massie Hussaini, Director of Application Engineering
As technology advances and cyber threats become increasingly sophisticated, businesses need powerful tools to safeguard their sensitive data and streamline their operations. In this era of remote work and digital connectivity, organizations in various industries like education rely heavily on Google Workspace to enhance productivity, foster effective communication, and streamline workflows.
The rapid adoption of cloud services has expedited digital transformation in organizations. With more data stored in the cloud, cybercriminals have shifted their focus to target cloud-based environments, and Google Workspace has become a prime target. Google Workspace serves as a centralized repository for a vast array of data, including emails, documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and other files.
A breach or unauthorized access to this repository can result in severe consequences for your organization, such as data theft, loss of intellectual property, and reputational damage. Regularly analyzing this data can help you detect any unusual activities or potential breaches in a timely manner.
In this blog, we will explore the 5 ways your organization can secure its digital footprint with Google Workspace while enhancing its security posture.
5 Ways to Secure Your Organization with Google Workspace
- Identify Unusual User Patterns: Credential threat is a popular attack among cybercriminals and once a cybercriminal gains access to your credentials, it becomes increasingly harder to identify. It is important to monitor and track user activities in real-time with User Entity & Behavior Analytics allowing you to detect and respond to anomalies and potential security threats as they happen.
- Reduce Risk Through Correlation: Integrating Google Workspace through their API enables organizations to correlate user activity data with threat intelligence and other security signals, providing early warning signs and actionable insights to help prevent and mitigate security incidents, which gives your organization full visibility into your network.
- Enable Access to Users: Take control of your organization’s security by defining and enforcing access policies within Google Workspace based on user roles, departments, or specific data types. This ensures that your organization’s sensitive information remains secure and accessible only to authorized personnel.
- Quickly Halt Attacker Activity: Enhance operational efficiency with automated security workflows that disable user accounts when a user is taking actions that appear suspicious. Integrating Google Workspace with security orchestration, automation, and response (SOAR) enables organizations to automate routine security tasks and responses, reducing manual efforts and accelerating incident response times.
- Improve Security Posture: Understand the state of your cloud security by pulling data from Google Workspace. Gain insights into things like when an admin adds or removes a user or when changes are made at the group level. These insights can provide details into policy violations and suspicious behaviors.